09 December 2009

Pomegranate White Chocolate Chip Cookies

Looking for a few new recipes the other day, I stumbled upon Coconut and Lime's Pomegranate Chocolate Chip Cookies. Seeing that I had an extra pomegranate sitting around, cookies had to be made.
I've noticed that over the past few years pomegranates have been getting quite popular. Maybe it's because of the claimed health benefits or maybe just because it's an awesome unique fruit. Whatever the reason, I'm happy about it. There are so many delicious looking recipes turning up using pomegranate juice, syrup, glaze, and fresh and dried arils. I can't wait to try more.

These cookies came out a little flat compared to how I normally like my cookies, and I suspect my cold jumbo egg may have had something to do with it, but I don't believe it compromised the taste. I also used white chocolate in mine, helping compliment the sweet/sourness of the pomegranate (and it looked pretty!). I enjoyed these a lot, the pomegranate gives a refreshing twist to the classic cookie.

Pomegranate Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Printable Recipe
by Coconut and Lime
  • 1 1/3 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds (Kacey's Kitchen used a little bit extra, because she could)
  • 1 egg, at room temperature
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 6 oz semisweet chocolate chunks (Kacey's Kitchen used 6oz of white chocolate chips)
  1. Preheat the oven to 350.
  2. Line 3 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
  3. In a medium sized bowl combine flour, salt, and baking powder.
  4. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
  5. Add the egg and vanilla and combine thoroughly. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the sweetened butter and mix until a very thick dough forms.
  6. Use a spoon to fold in the chunks then the pomegranates and distributing both evenly.
  7. Form cookies by dropping 1 heaping teaspoon of dough on the sheet two inches apart. Flatten slightly then bake until light brown, about 12 minutes. Let cool on wire racks.

5 comments :

  1. I must say, I've never worked with a pomegranate - so it's the seeds not the outer fruit part?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is correct. The best (least messy) way to accomplish this is to fill a large bowl full of water, cut the pomegranate in half, and remove the seeds while the pom is submerged in water. By doing it this way, the seeds will sink to the bottom while the membrane will float to the top, which you can just scoop out as discard.

    This will also eliminate the juices from splattering, staining everything in its path.

    I would definitely recommend trying a pomegranate. I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you want the juice of the pomegranate only cut a whole in it and squeeze

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are amazing cookies! thank you soo much for posting the recipe! The first time I made them I put walnuts, pomegranates, and dried cranberries! Sooo good! Ive now been using this cookie recipe and just adding in new things, like cereal!

    Thanks again! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you tried it and you love them! Thanks for checking my blog out!

    Chow On!

    ReplyDelete