17 May 2009

Tequila!

I'm a loner Dottie. A rebel.



Whenever I think of tequila, this image pops into my head of Pee-Wee dancing on the bar in those crazy shoes. Some may find it funny, some may find it disturbing. I find it a little of both. I'm a dork.

Anyways......

Last weekend I obtained a TON of strawberries. I knew I couldn't eat them all, so I put some sugar on them, waited until they got nice and soft and threw them in the freezer for another day. Another day came, I was going to hang out with Hasty's in the afternoon and was planning on bringing something sweet. Perfect! I knew I had to use the strawberries. I was originally thinking to make strawberry cupcakes with strawberry buttercream icing, but I've been there, done that. (Note to self: Make awesome strawberry cake again for blog)

So at 10am I cracked open the bottle of tequila.



At 10am it seemed like a lot of tequila, but at 9pm, Brianne and I decided that although you could occasionally taste some tequila, it could probably use a bit more. I also left out the triple sec, maybe that would help too. The pretzel crust was awesome. Overall this is a very tasty summertime dessert that I would definitely make again.

Strawberry Margarita Pie
www.crumbcity.blogspot.com

crust
  • 1 1/2 cups pretzel crumbs
  • 1/3 cup melted butter
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  1. combine pretzels, butter and sugar and press into pie pan. Bake at 350 until crust begins to brown, 7-8 minutes. Watch closely to prevent burning. Cool completely.
filling
  • about 1 pound strawberries, fresh or frozen
  • 1 can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/2 cup tequila (or to taste...the more tequila you use, the softer the frozen pie will be)
  • juice of 1-2 limes, depending on how much you like lime
  • 1 tablespoon triple sec if you've got it (you probably won't miss it)
  • 1 cup heavy cream (or two cups Cool Whip, if you must)
  1. Blend everything except for the cream until smooth. I used my immersion blender, but you could use a blender or hand mixer. Pretend you're making a milkshake. At this point, you could drink it, but it's much nicer frozen.
  2. Whip cream separately, then fold into strawberry mixture. Taste and add lime juice and tequila until it's a creamy version of your favorite strawberry margarita.
  3. Pour filling into cooled crust and freeze for several hours. Serve with a tequila garnish.

So next time your in the mood for a frozen margarita pie....Be sure and tell 'em Large Marge sent ya!

2 comments :

  1. Tequila and Pee Wee are a dangerous combination. I think I'd be willing to risk it for that pie though.

    ReplyDelete