13 September 2009

Champagne Wishes and Caviar Dreams

San Francisco Ferry Plaza Farmers Market. It's like a dream come true. If I ever move to San Francisco, I know exactly where I will spend most (all??? yikes!) of my paycheck each Saturday. From dozens of different plums or tomatoes, avocados, breads, cheeses (Oh! The cheeses!), fish, meats, sandwiches, pastries, and more, the farmers market had more than I could imagine. Inside the ferry plaza, you can find an array of restaurants, flower shops, bakeries, wine shops, olive oil, salty pig parts, kitchenware stores, and more. Let's just say I tasted a lot of good eats. And by a lot, I mean A LOT!

lox, the creamiest cream cheese ever,
thinly sliced onions, and tomato on amazing bread

At the farmers market, Super Gnarly Cousin from SF and I did some caviar tasting at Tsar Nicoulai Caviar. Lets put it this way, it was interesting. The caviar was good, and it was fun to do once, pretending to be champagne and caviar snobs, as if we really did have $125 to buy 1 ounce of this stuff.

This was the explanation we received when we asked how to eat it:
"Indulge yourself by eating the caviar from the side of your hand. For ultimate romance, eat the caviar from the skin of your loved one. Or just eat on crackers with creme fraiche."
I found that pretty amusing. We ate ours off of our hands (our own hands), until we realized the unique taste we were experiencing was really what I call 'city sludge'; the griminess you feel from touching things all day in a city. After that we just used our mother of pearl tasting spoons...ooolala.

fancy...

Champagne for my real friends...

Perfection Platter — $56
California Estate Osetra, Paddlesh Sturgeon, Brandy Trout, Vanilla Trout
Beet/Saron Whitesh, True Whitesh

Just call me fancy pants. Actually...don't, that's kind of creepy.

2 comments :

  1. That lox sammich was damn good! Ugh, when are you coming BACK? I'm not allowed to eat like that anymore...booooo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So...are you saying that if I come back, you will be able to eat like that again??? Ok...but I need at least 4 months of rigorous exercising before I can eat like that again. I am having dreams of delicious scrumptious tastinesses in San Francisco. Can you mail me a taco or something??? Maybe a Boot of L'Range??? Bread??? Cheese??? Sushi...oh the sushi!!! Anything??? I will send more maple syrup!!!

    ReplyDelete