Surprisingly, I'm not a huge fan of the chocolate/peanut butter combo. Of course I'll eat it, with no problem. And I completely understand why people love peanut butter with chocolate, but I'm just not one of them. I do enjoy these cookies however. Maybe it's nostalgia, maybe it's the simplicity, I don't know, and I'm not going to worry about it.
I'm also not a fan of the Hershey's kiss sticking out of it. The chocolate should be better distributed amongst the peanut butter. So that's what I did. A simple change made these cookies easier to eat, tastier, and easier to stack. I also used chunky peanut butter in these cookies for texture. I like texture.
For a ridiculously easy and scrumptious cookie, follow the recipe bellow. Enjoy!
Peanut Butter Blossoms
by Kacey's Kitchen, adapted from Hershey's
- 48 Hershey's Kisses
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup chunky peanut butter
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar, plus extra for rolling
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (pure of course)
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Heat oven to 375°F. Remove wrappers from chocolates.
- Beat shortening and peanut butter in large bowl until well blended.
- Add 1/3 cup granulated sugar and brown sugar; beat until fluffy.
- Add egg, milk and vanilla; beat well. Add flour, baking soda and salt, beating until combined.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in granulated sugar; place on ungreased cookie sheet, pressing down slightly.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely.
- In a heavy duty Ziploc bag, put Hershey's kisses in the bottom corner. Seal bag half way, microwave on medium power 10 seconds at a time until melted.
- Snip a very tiny piece off corner of bag and drizzle over cookies.