I filled up each cupcake liner halfway using Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate, Chocolate Cake batter and inserted one York Peppermint Patty into each cupcake. Unfortunately the batter was a little too thin to hold a peppermint patty. Each patty ended up sinking all the way to the bottom and sticking to the cupcake liner. The peppermint patty flavored each cupcake subtly which was a delight, unfortunately it was a bit difficult to eat once you got to the bottom due to the sinkage. I lightly flavored the buttercream using mint extract, which may not have been necessary, but if you like mint, it gives the cupcakes a nice extra bite. These were different tasting, but good, they just needed a thicker batter to support the extra goodies.
HERSHEY'S "PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" Chocolate Cake
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk (I only had buttermilk)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost with "PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING. 10 to 12 servings.
ONE-PAN CAKE: Grease and flour 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Heat oven to 350° F. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely. Frost.
THREE LAYER CAKE: Grease and flour three 8-inch round baking pans. Heat oven to 350°F. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost.
BUNDT CAKE: Grease and flour 12-cup Bundt pan. Heat oven to 350°F. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 50 to 55 minutes. Cool 15 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely. Frost.
CUPCAKES: Line muffin cups (2-1/2 inches in diameter) with paper bake cups. Heat oven to 350°F. Fill cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake 22 to 25 minutes. Cool completely. Frost. About 30 cupcakes.
Mint Buttercream Icing
by Kacey's Kitchen
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 vegetable shortening
- 3 1/2 cups confectioners suger, sifted
- 1 tsp. mint extract
- 1-2 tbsp. heavy cream or milk, more or less if needed
- Add butter and shortening in bowl of stand mixer. Mix until light and fluffy using paddle attachment, approximately 4-5 minutes, scrapping down sides if necessary.
- Add mint extract and confectioners sugar very slowly, 1/2 cup at a time, mixing well before each addition.
- While continuing to mix, add heavy cream or milk slowly until desired consistency is reached.