11 March 2010

Unleavened Bread

The other day my cousin emailed me asking me about unleavened bread. Seeing it would only take me a total of 10 minutes to make and bake, I threw it together almost immediately.
Not being able to find Matzo meal down here (although I didn't check EVERY grocery store), I tested out the recipe he provided me with using 2 ingredients. Water and flour. And what do you know, I had those on hand.

If you've never had matzoh before, don't get too excited. It's an unsalted cracker, but with less flavor. It's not something a person usually craves, but sometimes it needs to be eaten. I prefer mine slathered with cream cheese and topped with fruit, jelly, or something similar.

Anyway, I threw together the water and flour, and rolled it out to about 1/8 of an inch thick. It was a bit on the thick side, but ended up coming out similar to a pita pocket. I poked holes in them and baked them on a preheated pizza stone at 500 degrees, probably around 5-6 minutes until golden brown and crunchy.

It wasn't too bad, I used them as 'chips' to dip in some salsa that was kicking around. Next time I would probably add a little salt to the recipe and roll them out thinner. These would probably be good with hummus or other thick spread/dip.


Unleavened Bread
Printable Recipe
  • 1 part cold water
  • 3 parts flour
  1. Preheat your oven to its highest temperature.
  2. Combine water and flour.
  3. Quickly mix and kneed into a firm ball. Roll out the dough into as thin a circle as possible. Poke holes in the dough.
  4. Cook matzoh at the highest temperature for 2-3 minutes until done. Cool and serve.

No comments :

Post a Comment