17 May 2010

Caprese Salad & New Lights

Ahhh....my favorite. Another favorite. They are all favorites. Anything edible is my favorite. But this really is my favorite. How many times have you heard me say that? *Sigh*

Please bring me more of this. With crusty bread. Toasted.

Yum.

I'm addicted to food. I admit it. Yay for Food!!! And yay for Caprese salad!!!

Asides from being excited for tomatoes and fresh mozzarella and basil, I have another thing that I am excited about. If you notice (I hope you notice) this photo might look a little different (I hope nicer) than previous pictures I've taken. That's because I finally got on the ball and built myself some knockoff Lowell EGO tabletop lights. I needed something like this for a long time. Trying to balance my plates of food on a 4" window ledge was getting annoying and dangerous for the food. Walking around for 15 minutes with my camera and plate of food looking for 'decent enough' light wasn't cutting it anymore. Plus, I wanted to start eating my dinners while they were still warm.

The real deal Lowell lights would have cost me close to $200 but thanks to Raccoon and Lobster for creating and posting a DIY Lowell knock-off tutorial, I was able to build a fabulous pair of lights for around $30. Please check out Raccoon and Lobster for a great blog involving food and puppies (and build your own lights of course) - the best combination.

Building these lights were cheap, easy to make, and worth every penny. There are lots of sites out there showing you how to build your own but I really liked these. Asides from being budget friendly and functional, they are portable and look nice, so if you don't have a place to store them, you don't have to worry about an eyesore. It's definitely helped build my confidence with this blog and in turn, hopefully making it bigger, better, and badass.

If you have any questions about these lights or anything else, let me know and I'll help you out as much as possible.

And if your still interested in the food, below is a basic recipe for a Caprese Salad.

Caprese Salad
Printable Recipe
by Kacey's Kitchen

***Amounts of ingredients are completely dependent on what you have on hand, how much you need, and proportions you prefer. Just toss and go...toss and go.***
  • Roma Tomatoes
  • Fresh Mozzerella
  • Fresh Basil
  • Good Quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Sea Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper
  • Red Wine Vinegar
  1. Chop tomatoes and mozzerella into cubes. Shred a handful of basil leaves. Toss together.
  2. Drizzle with EVOO and Red Wine Vinegar. Use a little bit, toss and let sit a few minutes. You can always add more later.
  3. Season with salt and pepper.

3 comments :

  1. Your recipe sounds great and your picture is fantastic! I totally know what you mean about having to find the perfect light and sometimes that means traveling around outside with the bugs! I do that often and living in Alabama in the humid, hot and buggy weather, I have had to toss my food several times after a "photo" shoot :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no!!!! That's awful! Really do consider building these lights or at least purchase the full spectrum light bulbs. It's crazy how much time they have saved me. I can usually finish taking pictures in just a few minutes and my food is still warm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kacey, the photo looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete