21 May 2010

Quinoa Stuffed Peppers

I really should make more vegetarian dishes. I'm not sure why I don't, sometimes I think I forget that I can. That doesn't make any sense, does it? Oh well.

I really like quinoa. It's a grain that's been getting more popular over the past year or two, and you should be able to find it in most grocery stores either near the rice or in the organic section. It's similar to a rice couscous combination, and slightly nutty. I enjoy the unique texture of it and as most grains, it's very versatile.

I've already posted this recipe using Orzo as the grain (which you can check out here), but I actually prefer this with the quinoa, and this photo is much more appealing.

Quinoa Vegetable Stuffed Peppers
Printable Recipe

Adapted from Giada De Laurentiis
  • 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drain 1/2 the liquid
  • 2 zucchini, grated
  • 6 whole mushrooms, chopped
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
  • 3/4 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
  • 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano
  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 1/2 tbsp crushed red pepper (or to taste, I like spice!)
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 1 1/2 cups prepared quinoa
  • 4 large bell peppers (or 6 small)
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Saute garlic in olive oil over medium high heat for 1 minute. Add zucchini and mushrooms, cook for 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper. Stir to combine and cook another few minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, bring the chicken broth to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Add the orzo and cook for 4 minutes, under cooking the orzo. Drain, reserving the chicken broth.
  3. Stir the quinoa, parsley, and provolone cheese into tomato mixture to combine.
  4. Cut peppers in half, lengthwise, removing all seeds and ribs. Place in large baking dish.
  5. Spoon orzo mixture into the peppers. Pour chicken broth over peppers, filling the baking dish up about an inch or two.
  6. Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil, sprinkle with Parmesan and bake for another 15 minutes.
  7. Serve with crusty bread and enjoy!

No comments :

Post a Comment