21 July 2010

Chicken Parm Sliders

Kaceys Kitchen - Chicken Parm Sliders 1

Well, well, well....here we have it. The first meal created with my brand new meat grinder. These really hit the spot. A light 'burger' with tons of flavor and freshly ground meat, what's not to love? I even made my own buns, which I'll share with you soon.

For some reason, although I just described them as a 'burger', I never really considered them that. It's definitely a sandwich, but these seem to deserve a different title. Maybe it's the homemade buns, maybe the use of a meat grinder, maybe the delicious tomato topping...whatever the case, this dinner just seemed to be a little more special than a "Chicken Burger". I suppose I'll stick with the trendy 'slider' term, until something better comes along.

The highlight of the meal (asides from the meat I ground myself. By the way, did I mention that I have a meat grinder now?). Anyway. The highlight of the meal was the cherry tomatoes. Sauteing/steaming them in garlic and olive oil until they pop really give them such a deep flavor. I look forward to using this technique for many recipes in the future.

I can't recall what we drank with this meal, but looking at these pictures and remembering how good those tomatoes were on top of the panko coated chicken, I think a nice peppery red wine would be perfect right now. I mean...with this meal.... and right now.

Chicken Parm Sliders
Printable Recipe
Adapted from Rachael Ray
  • 2 tbsp EVOO, plus some for drizzling
  • 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 pint cherry tomatoes
  • A generous handful of sweet basil, shredded or torn
  • 1 1/2 pounds ground chicken
  • 1 tbsp dried thyme
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
  • 3 to 4 tbsp sesame seeds
  • 1/2 cup shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
  • A small handful of flat-leaf parsley, very finely chopped
  • 1 tbsp dried parsley
  • 1 cup mozzarella (or fresh ricotta)
  • A few handfuls of baby spinach
  • 8 rolls
  1. In a small pot with tight fitting lid heat 2 tbsp EVOO over medium heat.
  2. Add garlic, stir 2 minutes, then add tomatoes and cover pot, raise heat a bit and cook tomatoes, shaking the pot occasionally, until tomatoes burst, 8-10 minutes. Mash up sauce with wooden spoon and season tomatoes with salt and pepper. Thicken, uncovered for 2-3 minutes, then stir in basil and fresh parsley leaves and turn off heat.
  3. Meanwhile, season chicken with thyme, salt and pepper. In a separate dish, combine breadcrumbs with sesame seeds and Parmesan cheese, parsley. Form 8 small patties 3 inches wide and coat in breadcrumbs, gently pressing patties into crumbs to make them stick. Heat a drizzle of oil in a large, shallow non-stick skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Cook patties to golden brown and cooked through, about 3 minutes on each side.
  4. Place a spoonful of mozzarella or ricotta on bun bottom. Drizzle cheese with a touch of EVOO and season with salt and pepper. Top cheese with a few spinach leaves, the patties, then some sauce and bun tops.

2 comments :

  1. I'm getting married next month and I definitely registered for the meat grinder. You are getting me way too excited about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so exciting! And congratulations on the wedding also!

    ReplyDelete