13 August 2010

Shrimp and Chicken Stir Fry

I look and read my own blog quite often. Multiple times a week. Sometimes I just want to make sure what I wrote make sense (rarely), if there are spelling errors (tons), critique my photos (endless), and help me decide what to make next. I don't blog about all of the food I cook or eat. I usually don't take pictures of my breakfast which typically consists of cereal. And if by chance I make something totally glutinous, I'm tearing into it like a wild animal before I think about setting up my lights and camera. (yeah...picture that...) Lunches are frequently bits and pieces of whatever survived from the previous nights dinner. Because of this I focus my menu planning around dinner.

I cook dinner between 5-6 times a week, leaving out a day or two to tackle leftovers and possibly go out to eat. You probably only get to see 4 of those meals. I'm not purposely hiding food from you, I promise. It's just that some foods are really difficult to photograph in a way that looks appetizing. And since I have no clue what I'm doing, it makes it a bit more difficult. I have a major problem with most rice and pasta dishes, unless there are tons of other stuff in them, like the stir fry you see above. And then there are other times where I'm short on time, starving, and I know I shouldn't, but I decide not to take pictures.

Other times I have tons and tons of pictures/recipes in my query (like now) to show you, but I just don't have time to write about it. It takes a surprising amount of time for me to write each post. Or I'll be on a roll and WHAM...writers block. For days I will stare and stare and stare at something with nothing to say. And that drives me nuts because it often it would have come out really great, but that's all I can think about it. Sure I could throw up a recipe and a picture, but that's no fun. Is it? Occasionally there will be a noticeably shorter blog than other days. Most likely writers block.

I'm aware that some of my habits don't exactly make me the best blogger, but that's not why I'm here. I really enjoy food blogging, and sharing with you things that I want to share. Often I find myself trying new foods, eating at certain restaurants, and willing to experiment a bit more because of you. If you've been out and about with me, I guarantee you've heard me more than once yell, "woah, that would be awesome for my blog". Not to mention your suggestions for my blog.

Of course, I want good food here at Kacey's Kitchen. Most importantly I want to eat good foods, but I also want to show you good food. I want the recipes to be as accurate as possible, and I want to tell you the truth about how I fucked something up, or what I suggest you do instead, or have you suggest to me new ideas. I want good pictures and I want you to want to eat my food. I'll keep working on it.

In the meantime, here is a rough guide to this stir fry. Each stir fry I make comes out completely different. I never measure anything, just using what looks good, what ingredients I have in stock, and how much will fit in my wok. And that's how I think a stir fry should be. I love them.

Shrimp and Chicken Stir Fry
Printable Recipe
by Kacey's Kitchen
  • Cooked brown rice
  • broccoli
  • onion
  • garlic
  • red pepper
  • uncooked shrimp (or pre-sauteed in garlic/oil seasoning)
  • chicken breast, thinly sliced
  • canola oil
  • sesame seed oil
  • crushed red pepper
  • soy sauce
  1. Cut up veggies to desired size. Heat the canola oil & sesame seed oil in a wok or the largest non-stick skillet you have.
  2. Toss in all vegetables. Saute about 6 minutes, or until desired texture is almost reached.
  3. Toss in chicken, saute for a few minutes.
  4. Toss in shrimp last, cook until pink throughout, or if precooked, heated through.
  5. Add crushed red pepper and rice. Heat through. Season to taste.
  6. Add rice and soy sauce.

2 comments :

  1. Kacey,

    Your blog is my favorite because I -LOVE- your writing style. You're funny, conversational, and very relatable. :) I'd rather have quality over quantity any day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren,
    You totally made my day with that comment!!! Sweeeeeet!
    ~Kacey

    ReplyDelete