I made this a few months back, and I think I'll be making it again soon. We eat a lot of chicken in this house anyway, so it's great to have such a comforting and satisfying meal, with a healthier substitute.
by Kacey's Kitchen
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup flour
- 2 cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- salt and pepper
- 4 tbsp EVOO
- 1.5 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan
- 3 cups homemade tomato gravy (or your favorite jarred sauce)
- Slice eggplants about 1/2" thick. Pat dry, season with salt and pepper.
- Dip each slice of eggplant into flour to lightly coat, then egg mixture, and finally bread crumbs to coat completely.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Place eggplant in pan. After about 3 minutes, when bottom of eggplant is golden brown, flip over and cook another 2 minutes until bottom is browned. Remove to paper towel lined dish. Repeat with remaining eggplant.
- Preheat oven to broil.
- In large baking dish, spoon a little of the tomato sauce into bottom of dish to lightly coat.
- Place slices of eggplant down so touching or slightly overlapping. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Cover eggplant with tomato sauce, and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Place baking dish in oven, and broil until cheese is slightly brown and bubbly.
- Serve over pasta and with a piece of crusty bread.