- 1 onion, peeled and cut into rings
- 1 zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 chicken breast, cut into strips
- 1 dozen large shrimp, tails on
- canola oil for frying
- tempura sauce, see recipe below
- 1 large egg, cold
- 150ml iced water
- 1 1/2 cups of flour, cold (leave four in the fridge to chill it)
In a medium size bowl, lightly beat the egg, add the water and mix it well.
Add the flour and mix it using two chopsticks. Do not over mix it, leave a few lumps of flour.
If the oil is hot and the vegetables and shrimp are ready, dip each into the batter and fry until the outside is golden and looking crispy.
The vegetables will first sink to the bottom of the wok (or large pot) and rapidly come to the top. Drain in a cooling rack set over a baking tray. Serve immediately with the sauce for dipping.
- 1 cup of water
- 2 tbsp of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of mirin (sweet cooking rice wine)
- 1/4 cup of bonito flakes
- Put all ingredients in a saucepan and gently simmer for about 2 minutes.
- Strain and discard solids. Set aside.