06 May 2011

French Toast

I love breakfast, and at first, I brought breakfast into our (semi)weekly menu rotation to save time, money, and to be honest, brainpower. Throughout the week I am fairly busy, and if I plan a 'normal' dinner on those days, I often find myself running around whipping something up half assed, not taking a picture of it, scarfing it down, and running out the door before the pan even cools.

On those busy nights, making a simple breakfast is fun for me. For starters (get it? Starters? Breakfast?? Oh never mind.). For starters, it's almost like special treat. Simple I know, but since we rarely have breakfast (my favorite meal) it's a treat to have it for dinner. I also get to spend more time unwinding or talking with Aaron. But my favorite part....it's mindless!!! I don't have to think about a thing! I don't have to worry about not having the right ingredients on hand.

We are both a fan of egg dishes, but I do like to mix it up a bit. On this day, I just made a huge platter of french toast. I did however forget to serve them with peaches I bought specifically for this dinner. Oh well, it was still delicious.

Maybe it's because I love breakfast. But I think another reason I love this is because it reminds me of how excited I would get when I was younger and my mom served breakfast for dinner. It was just once in a while, and now that I'm older, I realize she probably did it for the same reason. I'm tired. I'm busy. I want something easy to clean up. But we always thought it was special. It was right up there with dessert before dinner! Yup, we had those nights too!

I used Texas toast because it was on sale. And it's near impossible to find Challah here. But if you can get Challah, promise me you will make french toast with it. It will bring your french toast to a whole other level. And please, only use real maple syrup. (I need to make a shirt that says something like that)

French Toast
by Kacey's Kitchen
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • approx 8 slices of bread
  • butter (or non stick spray)
  • real Maple syrup
  • fruit (optional)
  1. Beat eggs, milk, cinnamon, and vanilla together. Pour into a shallow bowl.
  2. Heat a large flat griddle or non stick skillet on medium heat. Dip each slice of bread into the egg mixture, allowing the bread to absorb it.
  3. Melt butter on pan and add as many slices of bread that will fit.
  4. Fry until brown on both sides.
  5. Serve with butter, maple syrup, and fruit.

No comments :

Post a Comment