I may or may not know anything about that.
Let's just say I don't step on the scale as much as I use to. It's not necessary. I can feel that 3rd waffle right on my hip. Or wait, that might be the fried chicken.
I totally stuffed 'fried' chicken inside of a waffle and dipped it into a maple dijon sauce.
These waffles are best if you get them really crispy. In the photo above, the waffle was a little undercooked (still tasty!), but when I toasted them up the next day, they were amazing.
Below you will find the recipe for both the Chicken & Waffles and the Maple Dijon Sauce.
'Fried' Chicken Stuffed Waffles
by Kacey's Kitchen, adapted from Snappy Gourmet and Cooks Illustrated (May & June 2010)
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp milk
- salt & pepper
- 2 cups crushed corn flakes
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 1/4 cup seltzer water
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut chicken breasts in half lengthwise and then into small slices.
- Whisk egg and milk together in a large bowl. Season chicken lightly with salt and pepper and add to bowl.
- Dredge each piece of chicken in crushed corn flakes and place in a single layer on the baking sheets.
- Cook for about 14 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- Resist eating all the chicken. You need them for the waffles.
- While chicken is cooking, prepare the waffles.
- Whisk flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl.
- Whisk sour cream, eggs, vanilla, and oil in a bowl to combine. Stir in seltzer.
- Pour wed ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients. Stir until just combined. The mixture will be lumpy.
- Preheat waffle iron. When waffle iron is ready, dip a few pieces of chicken into the waffle batter and place on iron. I was able to fit 3-4 pieces of chicken on the waffle iron at once. Don't worry, they don't have to be touching, the waffle batter will spread out while cooking. Close lid down all the way and cook as you would with a normal waffle. When done, keep cooked waffle into OFF, but still warm oven while you repeat with the rest of the chicken and batter. Serve with Maple Dijon sauce (recipe below).
Maple Dijon Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 3 tbsp dijon mustard
- Whisk all ingredients together. Serve with Chicken Stuffed Waffles.