I've got the creepiest looking hand in that picture. I also gotta seriously figure out where to take pictures in this house. A patio set would be ideal, we gotta get on that.
So Applebee's, eh? Did you know Applebee's are still in business? Crazy. The only reason I know that is because there was one in our last little tiny town, and it was always busy. I can't remember the last time I was in one. But way back when, when it was cool to wait in line at a restaurant that didn't accept reservations with 2 dozen other families with screaming kids to be waiting on by a teenager with 37 pieces of flair who hates their job, I would order this salad. To me it was the best thing on the menu, or the only thing on the menu. I'm honestly not sure now if I've ever eaten anything else there.
The salad is really good the first time around, but I'm telling you this because we're friends. Make sure you save some of it for the next day. Pour the salad dressing all over it and let it just soak overnight in the fridge. If you aren't a member of the soggy salad club already, THIS soggy salad with convert you. Seriously, it's delicious the first day but addicting the second. Don't mess around and eat the whole thing right away. Just trust me on this one.
Okay, I know, we've got fried chicken and mayonnaise in your dressing. If you're going the salad route to cut back, use some light mayo and don't put all of the dressing on your salad. But really, it does need the mayo in it. Don't be scared either, the other dressing ingredients cut it back so your not all like "BAM mayonnaise on my salad!". And the friend corn flake chicken is excellent also, but feel free to grill those suckers as well. It'll still be scrumptious!
While your waiting for the recipe to print (click 'Printable Recipe' in the recipe), head over to my other blog Where's In The World Is Kacey?!? to check out the most recent post on random things we did in February and March!
Copycat Applebee's Oriental Chicken Salad
By Kacey's Kitchen, Slightly Adapted from Top Secret Recipes
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Grey Poupon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 tsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup corn flake crumbs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups chopped lettuce (any kind will do)
- 1.5 cup chopped red cabbage
- 1.5 cup chopped Napa cabbage
- 2 carrots, julienned or shredded
- 2 green onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 block instant ramen noodles
- Whisk all dressing ingredients together and chill in the refrigerator until salad is ready.
- In a small bowl whisk egg and milk together.
- In another bowl, combine flour with corn flake crumbs, salt and pepper.
- Cut chicken breast into 4 or 5 long strips. Dip each strip of chicken first into egg mixture then into the flour mixture, coating each piece completely.
- Heat oil in skillet until hot, fry each chicken finger for about 3 minutes on each side or until golden and cooked through.
- In a large bowl, toss together chopped lettuce, cabbages, and carrots. Sprinkle green onions on top.
- Toast almonds in a small skillet (do not use oil) over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until light brown.
- Sprinkle toasted almonds over the salad. Crush dry ramen noodles in your hand and sprinkle over salad.
- Add chicken to salad, cutting into bite sized pieces if desired. Serve with salad dressing.
If you enjoyed this post, and would like to follow 'Kacey's Kitchen', please subscribe here so you don't miss anything! Have something to say? Leave a comment below!