02 April 2013

Pork Yakisoba

One of the great things about living in Japan is the endless supply of noodle dishes you can get ANYWHERE.  And I mean ANYWHERE.  On base, off base, instant noodles (which are waaay better than instant ramen in the states), but my favorite are the millions of ramen/noodle houses that make their own noodles.  Mmmmm, homemade noodles are delicious.  And addicting, and I want to go out and get some now!!!

It's been really hard to stay at home and cook since we've been here. There are only 348972 million places that we want to try, but we've been pacing ourselves.  We've actually been pacing ourselves so well, that the other day we agreed we should start eating out MORE!  That sounds crazy, but cooking myself has been really good, and it's taken me a while to get into the swing of things...in fact, even with all my cooking I've done here, I'm still not totally comfortable in this kitchen.  Speaking of the kitchen, this photo reminds me that I have to update my header picture on my blog!  Keep an eye out for that soon!

This is a great yakisoba dish, especially for busy days.  It's quick and easy, is versatile, and doesn't take any planning.  Oh, did I mention it's delicious?  I may or may not have eaten all the leftovers for breakfast the following day.  I added pork, because it's what I had on hand, but you could add any protein you want.  Tofu, chicken, beef, shrimp, fish, it'll all work.

What made this dish extra special is that I was able to buy some fresh yakisoba noodles, which made such a huge difference.  If you're able to secure some fresh noodles, do it...if not, I promise it will still be delicious with whatever you'd like to use.  Even some linguine noodles could be used in crunch!

Pork Yakisoba
Printable Recipe
Slightly Adapted from allrecipes.com (emmaxell)

  • 1/2 tsp sesame oil
  • 1 tbsp canola oil
  • 2 tbsp chile paste
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1lb pork, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 1 onion, sliced thin
  • 1/2 head medium napa cabbage, chopped
  • 2 carrots, chopped
  • 1/2 lb Yakisoba noodles (you can use any noodles you'd like, including soba or ramen)
  • toasted sesame seeds
  1. In a large skillet combine sesame oil, canola oil and chili paste. Stir fry 30 seconds. 
  2. Add garlic and stir fry an additional 30 seconds. 
  3. Add pork and 1/4 cup of the soy sauce and stir fry until pork is no longer pink. Remove mixture from pan, set aside and keep warm.
  4. In the emptied pan combine the onion, cabbage and carrots. Stir fry until cabbage begins to wilt. 
  5. Stir in the remaining soy sauce, cooked noodles and the chicken mixture to pan and mix to blend.
  6. Add toasted sesame seeds, serve and enjoy!
If you enjoyed this post, and would like to follow 'Kacey's Kitchen', please subscribe here so you don't miss anything! Have something to say? Leave a comment below!

2 comments :

  1. I am not normally a noodle person (truth). Once in a while I see a noodle that makes me really, really want to eat it. I just got that feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Homemade ramen noodles are glorious! You would probably really, really want to eat them all the time.

    ReplyDelete