12 June 2013

Thai Fish Cakes

One of my favorite meals are simple crab cakes over salad or spinach, but I'm always looking to mix up the flavors a bit.  I've already shared with you lobster cakes, and while I've made fish cakes before, I've never posted them here at Kacey's Kitchen.

You can use any white fish you would like for this recipe, in fact, I'm not even sure what kind I used, I couldn't read the sign at the fish market here in Japan.  But it was tasty, I promise you that.  I used both fish and shrimp, but if you prefer one over the other, feel free to use only one kind.  Personally, I enjoyed varying textures.  I served this dish with sticky rice and steamed bok choy, and while you could use really almost any dipping sauce here, we chose a chilled sweet chili sauce.

Thai Fish Cakes
Printable Recipe
Slightly Adapted from Great British Chefs

*I've estimated the conversions in parenthesis, however, I used my kitchen scale.  If you don't have one, consider it, they aren't expensive and you'll be surprised by how often you'll use it!

  • 350g firm white fish fillets (3/4 lbs)
  • 350g shrimp (shelled & cleaned) (3/4 lbs)
  • 35g fish sauce (2.5 tbsp)
  • 35g thai red curry paste (2 tbsp)
  • 20g fresh cilantro, chopped (3 tbsp)
  • 130g egg, beaten (1 egg)
  • 15g granulated sugar (1 tbsp)
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 50g panko crumbs (1/3 cup)
  • 80ml water (1/3 cup)
  • 70g scallions, thinly sliced (4 scallions)
  • 90g green beans, finely chopped (about 20 green beans)
  • 10ml lime juice (1 tbsp)
  • 5g lemongrass, chopped (grate about 1/4 inch off bottom of lemongrass)
  1. Preheat oven to 375°F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Chop fish and shrimp to desired texture. I like mine chunky, but you could even food process it if you would like.  Combine all ingredients into a bowl.
  3. Roll into 10-12 balls, depending on how large you would like them, and flatten each one onto parchment paper like a burger.
  4. Place in oven and cook approximately 12 minutes or until golden brown.
  5. Serve with rice, bok choy, and sweet chili dipping sauce for a tasty meal!

If you enjoyed this post, and would like to follow 'Kacey's Kitchen', please SUBSCRIBE HERE so you don't miss anything! Have something to say? Leave a comment below! 

Be sure to check out my other blog, Where in the World is Kacey?!? to see what goes on outside of the kitchen!

No comments :

Post a Comment