30 May 2009

Buttermilk Biscuits

I hate throwing food out. I hate throwing food out I haven't even opened even more.

I've had a container of buttermilk sitting in my fridge for almost too long now, and I refuse to throw it out. Why, why, why, don't they make buttermilk in smaller bottles??? So often I buy it for one or two recipes, and barely use half of it before it goes bad. And that is why the biscuits were made tonight - to attempt to use up some of this buttermilk. I need more ideas, any suggestions?

These biscuits are so easy to make. From start to finish maybe 20 minutes. And while they were baking, I was able to clean everything up, which was even better. Thanks Alton Brown for another great quick recipe. I love Alton Brown. I love Good Eats. But I don't have cable. And I miss the food network. *sigh*

I would have spruced these up if I had more ingredients, but like I said previously, I'm trying to deplete my food inventory, and it's going really well. Which means: I have no food. No perishable food at least. Which means: I've been eating like crap lately. Lots-O-Carbs.

This recipe makes about a dozen, so I'll be able to freeze them. And then I can make egg, taylor ham & cheese biscuits to bring to work. And then I will take pictures of them. And then I will show you. And then you will be drooling on your keyboard. It will be glorious!!!


My advice: Don't buy biscuits in a can. Once you try these, you will see how simple they are, and you won't go back.

Go ahead, try 'em:


Southern Biscuits

Alton Brown

Ingredients
  • 2 cups flour
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons shortening
  • 1 cup buttermilk, chilled
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Using your fingertips, rub butter and shortening into dry ingredients until mixture looks like crumbs. (The faster the better, you don't want the fats to melt.)
  3. Make a well in the center and pour in the chilled buttermilk. Stir just until the dough comes together. The dough will be very sticky.
  4. Turn dough onto floured surface, dust top with flour and gently fold dough over on itself 5 or 6 times. Press into a 1-inch thick round.
  5. Cut out biscuits with a 2-inch cutter, being sure to push straight down through the dough. Place biscuits on baking sheet so that they just touch. Reform scrap dough, working it as little as possible and continue cutting. (Biscuits from the second pass will not be quite as light as those from the first, but hey, that's life.)
  6. Bake until biscuits are tall and light gold on top, 15 to 20 minutes.

1 comment :

  1. I'll have to try these, they sound great and I too wish they sold buttermilk in smaller containers! I use it to make Irish Soda Bread, super easy and delicious, I'll have to give this one a try!

    ReplyDelete