03 June 2009

Caesar!

Craving a caesar salad, I decided to go the homemade route by creating my own croutons and dressing.

I remember seeing a recipe a while ago for caesar dressing that does not contain anchovies or egg. I tried to recreate it, without really knowing what was in it, and without measuring. It came out really good. Not quite your traditional dressing, but I would definitely make it again. Especially that I got to use up some of that buttermilk I've had kickin' around.

Here's a quick run down on the salad-no measurements included:

Dressing
  • buttermilk
  • olive oil
  • worcestershire sauce
  • garlic
  • pepper
  • lemon juice
  • grated parmesan cheese
  1. Puree all ingredients
Croutons
  • bread (stale)
  • garlic clove
  • olive oil
  1. cube bread, put on cookie sheet under broiler until golden brown.
  2. mush up garlic and heat with olive oil in a pan.
  3. take bread (croutons) out when done, pour garlic olive oil over them.
Salad
  • romaine lettuce
  • grilled chicken
  • parmesan cheese (grated)
  1. cut up romaine lettuce to preferred size.
  2. heat up grilled chicken, place on top of lettuce.
  3. add croutons
  4. pour dressing over salad.
  5. top with grated parmesan.
  6. eat.
  7. save leftovers.
  8. eat soggy salad for lunch the next day.
This hit the spot. I accompanied this with a small pizza I made with some dough I had frozen. I ate that too quickly to take a picture of it. The pizza was excellent, probably due to my homegrown basil!

I don't know about you, but I love leftover salad. Especially caesar salad. I love when the dressing soaks into the croutons and lettuce and gets all mushy. Mmmmmmmmmm....

Oh, and here's something I just learned: Buttermilk lasts a very very long time after the date on the container. I was told it could last up to a couple of weeks longer. Please let me know if you find out this isn't true. Before I find out....

No comments :

Post a Comment