I remember seeing a recipe a while ago for caesar dressing that does not contain anchovies or egg. I tried to recreate it, without really knowing what was in it, and without measuring. It came out really good. Not quite your traditional dressing, but I would definitely make it again. Especially that I got to use up some of that buttermilk I've had kickin' around.
Here's a quick run down on the salad-no measurements included:
- olive oil
- worcestershire sauce
- lemon juice
- grated parmesan cheese
- Puree all ingredients
- bread (stale)
- garlic clove
- olive oil
- cube bread, put on cookie sheet under broiler until golden brown.
- mush up garlic and heat with olive oil in a pan.
- take bread (croutons) out when done, pour garlic olive oil over them.
- romaine lettuce
- grilled chicken
- parmesan cheese (grated)
- cut up romaine lettuce to preferred size.
- heat up grilled chicken, place on top of lettuce.
- add croutons
- pour dressing over salad.
- top with grated parmesan.
- save leftovers.
- eat soggy salad for lunch the next day.
I don't know about you, but I love leftover salad. Especially caesar salad. I love when the dressing soaks into the croutons and lettuce and gets all mushy. Mmmmmmmmmm....
Oh, and here's something I just learned: Buttermilk lasts a very very long time after the date on the container. I was told it could last up to a couple of weeks longer. Please let me know if you find out this isn't true. Before I find out....