30 June 2009

Fish Tacos

Welcome to the first full meal I've cooked in my new home. I love tacos. I could eat tacos every day because there are so many different things you can do with them. For example, the other day I went to this really cute restaurant in Burlington with my momma and had duck tacos. They were delish and had me craving more!

This morning I was laying out in the sun finishing up a book, doing exactly what I was wanting to do. I've been trying to get a lot of sun, so I don't keep looking like Maine Mayonnaise Girl (gross, I know...but I was really pale there for a while). Anywho, after laying out in the sun thinking of what to make for dinner, knowing it needed to be light, refreshing, and filling, I decided on fish tacos. More specifically panko & lime crusted tilapia, avocado corn salsa, yogurt/garlic lime dressing, brown vegetable rice, and homemade tortillas.


It was soooo good. A great summertime meal. I did add some heat to this dish, but next time I think I'd go even spicier. And maybe try some homemade corn tortillas.

I had never made tortillas before, but I have wanted to. If you haven't made them, you should, they are beyond easy and fun, and you'll be proud of yourself!


The avocado corn salsa I first had at my friend Briannes house and became addicted. My suggestion is to make double what you actually need it for, because it's addicting, and I promise you'll be 'taste-testing' it more than a few times. You know how that is...one scoop...then 'just one more'...then 'just one more'. I'm notorious for that. Which sucks when you are entertaining, and you realize you ate it all before your guests saw it.

Here are the recipes:
Tilapia
  • 4 filets of tilapia
  • fresh ground sea salt
  • fresh ground pepper
  • 2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 egg
  • splash of milk
  • zest of 2 limes
  • 2 cups panko crumbs
  • 1/4 cup oil (canola/veggie)
  1. Rub tilapia with salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. (I always use fresh ground pepper/salt)
  2. beat egg with splash of milk
  3. mix panko crumbs and lime zest
  4. dip tilapia in egg mixture to coat, then cover with panko crumbs. repeat with all tilapia
  5. if panko crumbs don't stick too well, dip again in egg and again in panko crumbs.
  6. heat oil in large fry pan, add tilapia, cook a few minutes on both sides until just cooked through.
  7. drain on paper towels
Flour Tortillas
Recipe adapted from The Big Book of Bread by Anne Sheasby
12 tortillas

  • All-purpose flour - 1 1/2 cups (plus ALOT more for rolling)
  • Salt - 1 teaspoon
  • Baking powder - 1 teaspoon
  • Butter, room temperature - 3 tablespoon
  • Warm water - 2/3 cups
  1. Combine the flour, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl.
  2. Lightly rub in the butter.
  3. Make a well in the center, then add enough water, mixing to form a soft dough.
  4. Knead the dough lightly for 1-2 minutes, then cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
  5. Divide the dough into 12 equal portions. (I used a kitchen scale)
  6. Roll out each portion on a heavily floured surface to form a very thin round.
  7. Brush out the excess of flour from the tortilla.
  8. Heat a large non-stick pan until very hot, then add a tortilla and cook for 1.5-2 minutes or until the surface starts to bubble and the underside is speckled brown.
  9. Turn the tortilla over and brown the other side for about 30 seconds.
  10. While the tortilla is cooking, roll out another round and repeat.
  11. You might need to brush away some burned flour from the pan in between cooking the tortillas.
  12. To re-heat, wrap them in foil and place in a preheated oven at 180C (350F) for about 5 minutes

Corn Avocado Salsa
Adapted from Food Network
  • 3 yellow corns
  • 4 tablespoons canola oil (Or veggie)
  • Sprinkle of Cayenne Pepper
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 3 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and diced
  • 1 serrano chile, finely diced (I used jalapeno because that's all I had - works fine!)
  • 1 small red onion finely diced
  • 1 lime, juiced (I love lime, I used 2)
  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
  1. Heat the grill to high.
  2. Remove the husks from the corn and discard. Brush the ears of corn with 2 tablespoons of the canola oil and season with salt, pepper, and lightly with cayenne. Grill the ears until the kernels are lightly golden brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Remove the kernels from the ears.
  3. Place the avocado in a medium bowl. Add the corn, chile, onion, lime juice, remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, cilantro and salt and pepper and gently stir to combine.

Sauce
me
  • 6oz (1 container) plain yogurt
  • 2 eyeballed tablespoons mayonnaise
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1 jalapeno
  • 1 tbsp lime juice (or more to taste)
  • 1 chive
  • salt & pepper
  1. combine yogurt and mayonnaise in small bowl
  2. mince garlic & jalapeno (I put both in a garlic press), add to bowl
  3. chop chive finely and add
  4. season with lime juice and salt & pepper
  5. chill & serve
We also had a side of veggie brown rice, red cabbage, mixed shredded cheeses, and garnishes of more lime and cilantro.

No comments :

Post a Comment