12 April 2010

Homemade Oreos

Up until last week I totally forgot about this. And I almost didn't tell you either because it's kinda corny, but I'm sort of excited about it. Exactly 1 year ago I started Kacey's Kitchen. In that past year, there have been 119 posts, and way more food was made and eaten. When I started, I really didn't have any expectations of myself and this blog. I knew I just wanted to show people some of the edibles that interest me, and some of my kitchen creations and disasters. I'd like to think I've improved (just a little) over the past year. Check out my first post, Blogs, Bread, and Beer. But as this blog goes on, especially recently, I've made more goals for Kacey's Kitchen. Stick around, and together we can see how it goes!!!

I know these Oreos have made there way around the food blogging world a few times, but I still wanted to have a go at them. I had this feeling going into it that although these might be tasty, they would never be a substitute for the package at the store. These were fun to make, rolling out the dough, cutting them to little circles, and filling them. They really did look like Oreos!

I really enjoyed the cookie part of these, cooking them for exactly 20 minutes, they had the perfect crunch to them without being too hard. The filling however just wasn't what I was hoping for. Maybe it was just the consistency. It was too soft and squished out the sides when you bit into the cookie. Don't get me wrong, they were good, I would just tweak the filling next time.

Although not a substitute for the real deal, these are not difficult to make, and they would be a fun treat to bring to someone's house. And who wouldn't be impressed by homemade Oreos?!? Just be sure to bring plenty of milk!!!

Homemade Oreos

Printable Recipe
by Food Network Magazine

Dough:
  • 1 1/3 cups Dutch-process cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Filling:
  • 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
  • 3 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  1. Prepare the dough: Sift together the cocoa powder, flour and salt in a large bowl. Using a mixer, cream the butter and sugar.
  2. Add the eggs one at a time, then the vanilla, incorporating each ingredient before adding the next.
  3. Add the dry ingredients and mix just until incorporated, scraping the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
  4. Divide the dough into 2 pieces; place one piece between 2 lightly floured sheets of parchment paper and roll into a 1/4-inch-thick rectangle. Repeat with the other piece of dough. Refrigerate both rectangles, covered with the parchment sheets, until firm, at least 1 hour or up to several days.
  5. Using a 2-inch round cutter, cut the dough into 64 circles. (You can reroll the scraps once.)
  6. Place the cookies about 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets and chill for 20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
  7. Bake the cookies until they are set and slightly darker around the edges, about 20 minutes. Cool completely on wire racks.
  8. Meanwhile, prepare the filling: Using a mixer, cream the butter and shortening until fluffy. Beat in the confectioners' sugar and vanilla.
  9. Flip half of the cookies upside down and top each with 1 level tablespoon of filling. Press the remaining cookies on top to make sandwiches.

2 comments :

  1. Happy 1 yr anniversary Kacey's Kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. APRIL 12TH "Happy Anniversary" Kacey Instead of me making her a meal SHE made me one on HER anniversary,and WOW!!!!!!! it was great!!!!! Thanks Kacey This young lady can really cook!!!!!! Someday I would not be surprised to see her have her own "5 Star" restaurant.I lucked out shes my neighbor and friend I GET THE GOODIES!!!!! Love Bev

    ReplyDelete