14 April 2010

Whole Wheat Strawberry Pancakes

I have been craving pancakes on and off for about a month now. There are two completely unbelievable reasons why I haven't made them yet. I'll tell you if you promise not to completely freak out. Promise? ... No???... Okay fine, here it is anyway:
1) I moved from Vermont to Florida WITHOUT TAKING ONE FREAKING BOTTLE OF MAPLE SYRUP WITH ME. What the hell is wrong with me!?
2) Until AFTER I made these pancakes, I didn't own a non-stick skillet. CRAZY!!!

Don't worry, some solutions are being made. After semi-successfully making these with a non-stick skillet, I promptly went out and picked myself up a pretty blue 11". Problem #2 solved. Problem #1 on the other hand is going to take a few weeks. You see, my parents are headed down here to visit in May and among many other things on their list to bring me, maple syrup is pretty darn close to the top. In the meantime, I refuse to buy the fake stuff, and knowing that my parents neighbor makes it, I can't bring myself to pay the money they want to charge you in the stores for it. Ridiculous!!! So I found a recipe to make your own 'maple syrup substitute'. It's not the same, but I felt better knowing I made it instead of buying it. I'll do a follow up post with the recipe in case you ever wind up in the same horrific situation.

These pancakes really were delicious, and I can't wait to make them again in a non-stick pan. I'm sure it will make them much more enjoyable when you aren't fighting with each and every pancake!

If you give 'em a whirl, let me know what you think!!!

Whole Wheat Strawberry Pancakes
Printable Recipe
By Kacey's Kitchen - adapted from Ellie Krieger for Food Network Magazine

  • 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
  • 3/4 cup nonfat milk
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 6 tablespoons pure maple syrup
  • 1 cup strawberries, chopped
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup whole-wheat four
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  1. Preheat the oven to 250.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, whisk the buttermilk, nonfat milk, eggs and honey, then slowly add the dry ingredients, stirring until just combined.
  3. Heat a large nonstick griddle or skillet over medium heat. Spoon 1/4 cup batter onto the griddle for each pancake and sprinkle each with apple, then drizzle a little more batter over the strawberries . Cook until the tops are bubbly and the edges are dry, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook until golden brown, 1 to 2 more minutes. Keep the pancakes warm on a baking sheet in the oven while making the rest.
  4. Place 2 pancakes on each plate. Drizzle with the syrup.

2 comments :

  1. The pancakes sound fabulous. Having moved often, I know how frustrating it can be to develop a regional taste and then have to be without it. Hopefully, your parents are coming with a very large bottle of syrup :-). Some of the warehouse stores sell maple syrup at prices that aren't too staggering. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I can't believe you didn't take maple syrup with you!

    ReplyDelete