07 June 2010

New Orleans, LA: Café du Monde

A few weeks ago a couple of pretty cool kids headed over to The Big Easy. The first (and last) time I was there was the spring of 2005, just before Katrina busted through and pulverized the place. I absolutely loved New Orleans then, and I was stoked when I realized I going to be living only 3 hours away. Neither Rachael nor Aaron had been there before, so I was a little nervous that I may have talked it up and it may not be the same, post storm. As usual, I was concerned for little reason.
It doesn't take much for the three of us to work up an appetite and one would think that being in a city, an appetite can easily be cured. Yes. And no. You see, there are tons of options. I want to eat everything, but there is only so much room in my belly. We had reservations to Mr. B's Bistro later that night (which I'll share with you later) so we didn't want to fill up too much. A sack of beignets at the famous Café du Monde were perfect.
Even this little guy thinks so.
He liked us...until he ran out of powdered sugar.
Steaming hot.
Fluffy and doughy.
Sweet and greasy. The perfect mid-afternoon pick me up snack.

Initially you think, 'it's only fried dough'. But in reality, it's really really good fried dough. Covered in powered sugar. Delicious.

We took ours to go, but if you get there early (or late, it's open 24 hours), you'll be able to grab a tiny bistro table and have your beignets and coffee served to you. Either way, it's worth checking out. At least once.

Café du Monde - 800 Decatur Street, New Orleans, La, 70116

$4.85

3 - Beignets
1 - Cafe Du Monde bottled water

Food 8
Atmosphere 6
Presentation 5

2 comments :

  1. Welcome back Kacey! Those beignets look amazing! *drools*

    New Orleans is one of my all time FAVORITE places -- cajun food rocks my socks! Glad you had fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lauren!
    It's good to be back in the swing of things. I've been looking forward to catching up on 2 weeks worth of food blogs!!!

    ReplyDelete