18 June 2010

Seafood Boil

It's been a while since you've seen the food that's been coming out of my kitchen, and I think now is a good time to show you. Plus, I grossed myself out a bit on that Waffle House post and feel that I need to redeem myself. I'll be working on that for a while. Give me time.
While my sister was down visiting, we threw together a dreamy-delicious seafood boil. Mussels, clams, crawfish, giant prawns, stone crab claws, and a lobster. Whole bulbs of garlic, corn, onions, potatoes. Bread. Beer. Awesome company. Really, how much better could this get?
Mmm....tasty, tasty piles of seafood. Tons of delicious seafood.

Did I mention this was delicious?
No real recipe here. Everything is cooked in one big ass (lobstah!) pot, the only 'trick' here is to put everything in according to how long it will take to cook.

We started out boiling the water with some Old Bay Seasoning (seafood likes salt water...it makes them feel more at home while you are boiling away their lives! MUAHAHA! Dead lobsters in my belly!!!!).

Sorry about that...apparently I distract easily.

So as I was trying to explain, there is a lot of water in that pot so it'll take a while to get rolling (pun completely intended). Once it does, toss in some veggies like potatoes, whole onions in skin, whole bulbs of garlic, yadda yadda yadda. Whatever you've got on hand. Toss that all in for 10 minutes or so. I bought a 2.5 lb lobster (Named Leroy. Or Larry. Really though, his name isn't important at this point) which will take about 20 minutes to cook. I tossed him in and let him hang out there alone (well, with the veggies) for about 15 minutes. I then tossed in the giant prawns, and waited about 2 minutes before tossing in the crab claws and clams. Wait another minute or two and careful scoop everyone out onto a serving platter.

I like my mussels separate from the rest in beer, onions, garlic, and tomatoes.

Here's the recipe for my mussels.

Mussels (Drink Beer Too)
Printable Recipe
by Kacey's Kitchen
  • 2 lbs. mussels
  • 1 yellow onion
  • 1/2 bulb of garlic
  • 2 tbsp EVOO
  • 2 roma tomatoes
  • 1 bottle of your favorite beer for the mussels. (While your at it, you might as well grab yourself one)
  • Crusty bread
  1. Peel and slice onion, peel and smash garlic, and cube tomatoes.
  2. Open both bottles of beer. Start consumption of one bottle.
  3. Add EVOO to large sauce pan. Add garlic & onion, sautee until fragrant (1 minute)
  4. Using the other bottle, pour the entire contents into a large sauce pot and bring to a boil.
  5. Add mussels, cover, and reduce heat to medium.
  6. You just want to steam the mussels until they open, approximately 8 minutes.
  7. Discard any mussels that haven't opened. Serve with some of the liquid so you can sop it up with the crusty bread.
Now go....go get some mussels in your belly!!!

No comments :

Post a Comment