25 April 2011

Tiramisu - Reader Request Monday's

(Photo courtesy of Chef Dennis)

That's not my photo. I considered posting this recipe without a photo, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I love food blogs with photos, it's what draws me into them. And when I follow over 200+ blogs daily, it's important to quickly pick and choose which ones I read to completion. So, I thought the next best thing is to use the photo from the blog I got this delicious recipe from. My Tiramisu tasted very good, and it looked okay in the pan, but it, uh...wasn't very photogenic by the time a took out a slice. Anywho...onto the story....

A long, long time ago (last year) my good friend Nich asked me if I had ever made a Tiramisu. I replied, telling him I would make it that week and let him know how it comes out. It's been a long freaking week. Never looking at a recipe for it, he was curious if it was even possible to make it at home. To be honest, so was I. I never read a recipe for Tiramisu, and I never even thought to make it at home. And then, when I saw this recipe, I kinda wanted to kick myself it was so simple. It was just one of those things I just assumed order out at a nice restaurant.

So, the only reason you might hesitate to make this recipe is that it calls for coffee liquor. Sure, you could leave it out if you wanted, but really, who wants to? But then again, who actually has a bottle of coffee liquor in their house? If you don't, you probably don't want to buy a whole bottle of it just for a Tiramisu. Maybe you have a creepy neighbor you could borrow some from.

Well it's just my luck that the hub-ster likes to drink White Russians (Weird, right? That's a whole other topic I could get into). I guess it's a Big Lebowski type guilty pleasure that he started indulging in before I moved down here with him. But hey, if that's what his hobby his while I'm away, go for it Dude.

I didn't even intend to add that pun right there. Perfect!

Anywho...This was a breeze to make. Of course, I could have gone the extra step(s) to make my own lady fingers, but I wanted to be realistic. I'm sure most restaurants your getting your tiramisu at don't make their own lady fingers, and I'm sure most of you don't want to both making you own. I sure didn't. But I would still consider this homemade. So will you.

Reader Request Monday's is where you, the reader, request what meals/product reviews/anything that you would like to see here at Kacey's Kitchen! Over the week I will make one of your suggestions and will post the recipe and pictures the next Monday.

So, what would you like to see on Kacey's Kitchen, leave a comment below!

Tiramisu
  • 6 egg yolks
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese
  • 1 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 2 -12 oz packages Italian Lady fingers
  • 1/2 cup cold espresso
  • 1/4 cup coffee flavored Liquor (optional)
  • 1 tbsp cocoa for dusting
  1. Combine egg yolks and sugar in the top of a double boiler, over boiling water. Reduce heat to low, and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly. This is your sabayon, remove from the heat and whip yolks until thick and lemon colored.
  2. Add Mascarpone to whipped yolks, beat until combined.
  3. In a separate bowl, whip cream to stiff peaks.
  4. Gently fold the whipped cream int the marscapone sabayon mixture and set aside.
  5. Mix the cold espresso with the coffee liquor and dip the lady fingers into the mixture just long enough to get them wet, do not soak them!
  6. Arrange the lady fingers in the bottom of a 8 inch square baking dish (or 6x9)
  7. Spoon half the mascarpone cream filling over the lady fingers.
  8. Repeat process with another layer.
  9. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
  10. Dust with cocoa before serving.

3 comments :

  1. so...do requests from previous mondays get reconsidered? oh, and kudos to chef dennis- great picture/great looking tiramisu!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sure do get reconsidered! I pick which recipe I make based on the ingredients I already have on hand, the amount of time I have over the weekend to make it, and what I feel like having!

    I often look back a previous weeks, or in this case, months, and pick which one suits my fancy!

    Keep on Requesting Sista!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is funny, because in Italy tiramisu is exactly the kind of dessert you make at home and you bring as a potluck dessert. You can get it at restaurants sometimes, but it is usually a go to dessert. I recently made a kid-friendly version on my blog (no coffee or alcohol).

    ReplyDelete