It's not fancy, it's not complicated, and it's not hard to make. The best part is...it's delicious!!! And, it's another one of my 'recipes' that you could use anything you have on hand. The only requirements: bread & cheese.
I use a cast iron griddle and press to make my grilled cheese sandwiches, but you could just as easily use a non-stick skillet and and a heavy pot on top of it. This helps stick everything all together while encouraging the insides to heat through quicker. You don't want to smash everything into a flat brick, so this little bit of weight is perfect. You'll be able to keep all the textures of your fillings that way.
I could eat this every day.
Turkey Pesto Melt
by Kacey's Kitchen
- Bread, sliced (5 minute no-knead is my favorite for grilled cheese)
- Pepperjack cheese
- Cajun roasted turkey breast, thinly sliced
- Tomato, sliced
- Butter, softened
- If using a cast iron pan with press, preheat pan on medium heat with press inside of pan.
- Lay out all slices of bread and smear one side of each with butter.
- Place one slice of bread for each sandwich in pan, butter side down.
- Start building your sandwich on each of those pieces of bread. A layer of pesto, a layer of cheese, a layer or two of turkey, tomato, turkey, and cheese.
- Take remaining buttered bread and smear a layer of pesto on the non-buttered side.
- Place the bread, pesto side down onto each sandwich in the pan.
- Place press on top of all sandwiches and cook about 4 minutes or until bottom of sandwiches is golden brown. Flip over and cook until everything is melted and golden brown.
- Enjoy every glorious bite!