I have been craving comfort food lately. Probably cause I miss my sister and when I talk to her, we often talk about food. What she is having for dinner, what I am having for dinner. And then we talk about her coming to visit me. Yay!!! But until then, I miss her!
And then I want to fill my belly with comforting goodness. Creamy, cheesy, fatty goodness. Except this meal isn't as bad as it seems...I don't think anyway. It's creamy without using cream, and you really don't have to put it over pasta if you don't want. In fact, this would be good with additional vegetables, seafood, or even over rice.
But as usual, I have to eat most things with an entire loaf of bread. So that just leaves this meal as comforting for me, and that's quite alright.
Oh! It's Reader Request Monday! What do you want to see here on Kacey's Kitchen??? Leave me a message below and I'll try to whip something up for you!
Mushroom and Chicken Stroganoff
by Kacey's Kitchen
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp EVOO
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb mushrooms
- 1/2 lb chicken breasts, cut up
- fresh baby spinach
- 1.5 cups chicken stock
- 1.5 cups non fat plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
- Bring a large pot of salter water to a boil. Add pasta and cook just shy of al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
- While pasta is cooking, melt butter and EVOO in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic, stir and cook until softened.
- Add the chicken and mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms are softened and lightly browned.
- Add the stock, soy sauce, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil and reduce temperature slightly to simmer until mixture reduces by about 1/3.
- Combine sour cream and flour in a small bowl, add this mixture to pan and stir. Continue cooking over low heat, just until sauce thickens.
- Add spinach and stir. Pour pasta into the sauce and cook until the dish is heated through.
- Season with salt, pepper, parsley and as always, crusty bread.