16 November 2011

Sweet and Spicy Coleslaw


I love coleslaw, but I am very picky about it.  It can't be too bland, too mushy, too dry, too vinegary, too mayonaisey.  It's just one of those things that is good when it's good.  I don't remember ever having a spicy coleslaw, and when I saw it in one of the recent Food Network Magazines, I knew I needed to try it.

I ended up eyeballing the quantity of ingredients.  I usual do a decent job of figuring out how much to use, but as it's apparent from the photo, I used too much mustard. Whoops.  Nevertheless, it was still delicious and I will be making it again.  I kicked up the quantity of cayenne pepper just a bit, and I might even try this with chipotle at some point.  And just FYI, this is delicious on a hotdog!

So try this version next time.  Adjust pepper and cayenne to your preference.  And if your in a rush, feel free to use bagged coleslaw mix, I promise, it'll be okay.

Sweet and Spicy Coleslaw
Printable Recipe
By The Neelys
  • 2 lbs green cabbage
  • 4 carrots
  • 1 medium yellow onion
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup mustard
  • 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  1. Cut cabbage in quarters and remove core.Grate carrots, onions and cabbage (or use a food processor). Toss together.
  2. In another medium bowl, prepare the coleslaw dressing by whisking together the mayonnaise, mustard, cider vinegar, sugar, black pepper, and cayenne. 
  3. Toss dressing with the cabbage mixture, and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours before serving.

1 comment :

  1. i love the neelys recipes... so delish!

    hope all is well and you are having a great december!

    ReplyDelete