09 December 2011

Pumpkin Snickerdoodles


I do believe that one of my favorite cookies would have to be the Snickerdoodle.  A slightly warm sugary, cinnamony, fluffy snickerdoodle.  Adding some pumpkin to the mix just makes me want to inhale the entire batch by myself.  I practically did.

It's a good thing one of us works with other people (hint - it's not me!) that I can send food in with, otherwise I would be Little Miss Plumper McPlumpyson eating pumpking snickerdoodles on the couch until my teeth fall out.  Really. I would. It's not even a slight exaggeration.  I sent in nearly the whole batch to work with Aaron, keeping just a couple at home so we could eat them the following day.  Keep in mind, at this point I've already 'sampled' plenty of dough and taste tested a couple of cookies as they came out of the oven.  By the time Aaron came home from work, there were no cookies to be found. No evidence I saved any to begin with either.  How convenient!

These are perfect holiday cookies, and you probably have all the ingredients on hand! My favorite type of recipe....although I would eat these all year.  I wouldn't mind having some right now either!

So, make these and let me know what you think!  Oh, and just to let you know, I like my snickerdoodles a little bit 'spicier' so I up the cinnamon and nutmeg quantities just a bit for this recipe.  The original recipe is posted below.

Pumpkin Snickerdoodles
Printable Recipe
Found at Annie's Eat's

For the cookies:
  • 3¾ cups all-purpose flour
  • 1½ tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ½ tsp ground cinnamon
  • ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • ½ cup light brown sugar
  • ¾ cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
For the coating:
  • ½ cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • ½ tsp ground ginger
  • Dash of allspice
  1. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Whisk to blend and set aside. 
  2.  In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugars on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. 
  3.  Blend in the pumpkin puree. Beat in the egg and vanilla until incorporated. With the mixer on low speed add in the dry ingredients and mix just until incorporated. Cover and chill the dough for at least 1 hour.
  4. Preheat the oven to 350˚ F. Line baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper. Combine the sugar and spices for the coating in a bowl and mix to blend. 
  5. Scoop the dough (about 2½ tablespoons) and roll into a ball. Coat the dough ball in the sugar-spice mixture and place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough to fill the sheets, spacing the dough balls 2-3 inches apart. 
  6.  Dip the bottom of a flat, heavy-bottomed drinking glass in water, then in the sugar-spice mixture, and use the bottom to flatten the dough balls slightly. Recoat the bottom of the glass in the sugar-spice mixture as needed.
  7. Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes, or until just set and baked through. Let cool on the baking sheets about 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with the remaining dough. Store in an airtight container.

1 comment :

  1. i would love if you would link these to our merry monday event! they look amazing!

    ReplyDelete