21 April 2012

Bang Bang Shrimp


I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but I really despise frying things in my house. Don't get me wrong, I looove me some fried foods, I just can't stand the smell of oil after the fact.  Ugh.  I can smell it for days.  In my hair, in my cloths.  Even worse, I hate thinking I've cleaned up completely just to find a grease splatter three days later.

That being said, I would make these again in a heart beat.  In my house.  But I won't.  Not because of the smell of oil marinating my belongings, but because when I made these....Aaron and I ate the entire bag of shrimp.  In one sitting.  It wasn't a pretty scene to watch, but boy was it tasty.

The moral of the story is...make these now. Or go to Bonefish Grill and order yourself a couple appetizers worth of these. I've only been to Bonefish once, and I was nervous because I had heard all the hype about these shrimp and I was afraid to be disappointed.  My friends, do not be nervous. They live up to their hype, and the fact that you can make these at home now that I'm sharing the recipe with you....well, that's even better.



Bang Bang Shrimp
by The Cooking Bride, adapted from Fake Ginger
  • For the sauce:
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 2-4 teaspoons chili garlic sauce, such as Sriracha sauce
  • 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
  • For the shrimp:
  • 1 lb. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
  • 2-4 cups vegetable oil
  1. In a large bowl, combine egg and milk. Add shrimp and stir to coat.
  2. In a separate bowl, combine flour, breadcrumbs, salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and basil. Pour half of the bread coating into a large resealable plastic bag. Add shrimp, seal bag, and shake until shrimp is thoroughly coated.
  3. Return shrimp to the egg mixture; coat. Pour the second half of the breading into the plastic bag. Add shrimp and shake until thoroughly coated.
  4. Refrigerate shrimp for 20 minutes to ensure the coating adheres to the shrimp.
  5. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Working in batches, add shrimp and fry, turning halfway through, until golden brown, about 2-4 minutes.
  6. Remove shrimp from oil and place on paper towels to drain.
  7. Drizzle sauce over the shrimp or serve alongside as a dipping sauce.

1 comment :

  1. YUM! YUM! I love that you posted this recipe! That's what's for dinner tonight

    ReplyDelete