27 April 2009

R is for Radical

Actually, R is for Rachael. Here she is:


Isn't she puurrrty? Of course she is, she's my sister and we look alike.

A month ago she turned 23. It was becoming tradition since I moved to Maine that she comes up and visits me on her birthday. Isn't that nice of me? I make her take off of work, and drive 500 miles to the "Smallest City in Maine". This year we decided to mix it up a bit. We met our folks in Vermont, and then Rachey's friends came up to visit. It was still pretty awesome. We even made sure we got some sisterly bickering in.

So Rachael decides that she wants pie for her birthday. More particularly blueberry pie and/or strawberry rhubarb pie. But, apparently there is no rhubarb in New England during the week of March 14th. Not one little piece. I was a bit upset about that, it had been a while since I had a rhubarb pie, and it sounded like a great idea. So my mom and I decided to make a mixed berry pie, primarily with blueberries. It tasted great. Don't ask for the recipe. We don't know. We just added stuff until we thought it looked and tasted good enough. That's how most of our cooking is done. And then my mom went a little crazy with a pizza cutter to create some BEAUTIFUL (evenly cut?) lattice work. Don't mind that...it's hard to see with your eyes closed : ) Our pie had character... delicious, sweet, tart, and scrumptious character.





Like the rest of our family, Rachael likes unusual and fun things. Take this for example...my parents got her pickles. But not just any pickles, a giant 5 gallon BUCKET of dill pickles. A BUCKET OF PICKLES!!! It's amazing...don't you agree?



(I'm still a little curious about what you do with a bucket of pickles.)

she likes the pie! success!!!


No comments :

Post a Comment