06 May 2009

Junk Food Chicken



My sister & I were recently talking about a dinner my mom use to make and called Junk Food Chicken. It wasn't made too often, but I remember loving it.

Apparently Rachael tried to recreate this dish the same weekend I tried also. TRIED is the key word here. We both tried to take a slightly healthier approach to this. We both used boneless skinless chicken breasts and baked it instead of frying it. Both came out bland. I ended up dipping the chicken in honey while eating it, and it was much better. I also made twice baked potatoes, but those didn't come out too hot either.

Lesson learned: When mom says use the greasy part of the chicken and fry in oil. Fry in oil dammit! There's a reason it's called Junk Food Chicken for pete's sake. (who is pete, and why do we care about his sake?)

Oh yeah, an apology for low quality pictures lately. My camera has definitely seen better days, and that was a long time ago. It's been used and abused and in need of a replacement I just haven't bought yet.

Junk Food Chicken
from mom - the way it should be...we think
  • chicken parts from whole chicken
  • potato chips (whatever type suits your fancy)
  • rice crispies
  • oil
  1. crush equal parts potato chips and rice crispies in a large ziploc bag. Throw chicken parts in and shake, shake, shake until coated.
  2. heat oil in large pan.
  3. throw (gently place) chicken in hot oil.
  4. fry for a few minutes until crispy, then turn over and fry until no longer pink in the center.
  5. eat!!!

I would probably season the chicken with salt and pepper before coating with chips. If using boneless skinless chicken breast again, I'll probably coat the chicken in honey before adding chips.

I've been posting a lot of greasy things, huh? I really have been eating healthier than that, I swear. I also realized I never posted the recipe for that cold soba noodle salad that I served with the sushi. I've updated that post to include the recipe.


No comments :

Post a Comment