03 May 2009

Sushi Balls & Cake Rolls

Today was the third KVB baking day. In the past we've made Car Bomb! cupcakes and a Chocolate Armagnac Cake. It was my turn to host this monthly gathering. I was a little nervous for the following reasons:

1) I wanted to make sure our food came out good and I would be an okay host, and more importantly,

2) My kitchen is small. Like, really small. Until today, I don't think more than 2 people have ever been NEAR the kitchen while cooking/baking was going on. And trust me, even with only 2 people...it wasn't pretty. So after I decided to put a table in the kitchen to create more counter space...it was interesting. I think we did pretty well, and apparently is wasn't TOO tight because Brianne & Victoria even had room to wash all of my dishes! Thanks guys!!!!

I think
Bakerella's cake pops are super cute, and thought they would be fun to decorate and use for the Bake for Hope Bake sale on Wednesday. We originally wanted to make the cake pops look like boobies (what else would you make for a breast cancer bake sale???) But it's not as easy at it looks to mold cake into a breast and put it on a stick. It was a mutual decision to just decorate them with pink & white icing.


***An apology to all those people who were looking to purchase tasty boobies. But I promise that these are just as scrumptious, and even better looking!***

cake pops!


ready to go!


Of course we needed to have lunch too. While the cake pops were in the freezer hardening, we prepared a couple of sushi rolls. I had never made sushi before, and thought it would be a fun hands on lunch idea. I was very excited while we each made our own rolls, and they all came out awesome. I wasn't sure if sushi would be enough, so the night before I whipped up an asian noodle salad.


nice veggie shot brianne!



my first sushi roll!


yummy goodness


Glorified California Roll (Ingredients)

  • nori
  • sushi rice (cooked & prepared)
  • avocado
  • carrots
  • imitation crab meat
  • cucumber
  • mushrooms
  • sesame seeds
  • wasabi paste
  • spicy mayo (4 parts mayo 1 part garlic chili paste)

Cold Soba Noodle Salad

adapted from The Love of Cooking

I usually eyeball salad, so however much of each ingredient you like will work.

Salad

  • 1lb cooked & cooled soba noodles
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
  • a couple of baby bella mushrooms, thinly sliced
  • 4 green onions, thinly sliced
  • handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
  • handful of fresh basil, chopped
  • grated carrots
  • chopped peanuts
  • toasted sesame seeds

Dressing

  • 1/2 cup rice vinegar
  • 1 tbsp sesame seed oil
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce
  • 4 cloves garlic
  1. combine dressing ingredients and let sit for an hour or more.
  2. combine all salad ingredients.
  3. toss salad with dressing.
  4. let sit a few hours for salad to absorb dressing.

1 comment :

  1. im gonna have to sign my mom up to recieve these emails. she would love the cake pops! they look so good! no wonder you couldn't keep your hands off them.

    ReplyDelete