30 September 2009

Veggie Risotto

It's been cold and rainy in Vermont. Comfort meals have been sounding really good....and tasting really good. We needed something delicious to go with sauteed brussels sprouts and pork chops. How about a veggie risotto??? Perfect!
risotto, pork chops, sprouts!
Speaking of brussels sprouts, they are a strange vegetable, aren't they? For some reason I never cared too much for them, I would eat them of course, but just thought they were 'ehh'. Then, for some reason a few years ago I ate a brussels sprout, and I fell in love. I don't know why, but for once I thought 'this is one awesome sprout!!!' or something like that. Either way, I have cared for these compact little green cabbage guy ever since.

Now back to the risotto. You can usually follow the back of the package of Arborio rice for directions, but I can give you the low down (again. Also see previous risotto post). For some reason, I've found risotto gets a bad rep for 'difficult'. To make it is by no means difficult, but it does require patience. And attention. I stirred this baby for a solid 40 minutes and never left it's side...there were witnesses. Dedication I say.

Risotto
Printable Recipe
by kaceys kitchen

  • 1 cup Arborio rice
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1/2 cup white wine
  • 5 cups chicken stock, warmed
  • 3/4 cup parmesan cheese
  • 2 cups veggies or seafood (I used leftover sauteed mushrooms, peppers, onions, and tomatoes)
  • salt/pepper/other spices (if needed)
  1. In large pan, heat butter over medium heat and add rice. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  2. Add white wine, stirring, reduce liquid by half.
  3. Add stock, approximately 1/2 a cup at a time, stirring constantly. When most of liquid has evaporated, add another 1/2 cup of stock. Continue adding stock each time it cooks down, for about 30 minutes. Taste rice, it should be tender but with a little firmness. Season if necessary. If it is not yet done, continue adding more stock. You may or may not need all of the stock, taste testing is the best way.
  4. Add sauteed veggies now, cook liquid down if needed, add parmesan cheese.
  5. Serve immediately.

1 comment :

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete