02 August 2010

Pulled Pork

Kacey's Kitchen - Pulled Pork 1
Mmm...one pot cooking. Mmm...one pot cleanup. Mmm...not having you oven on during 110 degree Florida heat. Mmm...easy-peasy AND delicious pulled pork.

You know when you find a recipe and you like it so much, that you wouldn't consider trying another? This is that type of recipe. I found it online a couple of years ago but never noted what site I got it from. If it belongs to you, please let me know. It's delicious and I haven't tried another version since.

I like barbecue. I like meat. I like sandwiches. And I like pulled pork. I do believe that good barbecue shouldn't require lots of sauce. When I want to devour a pulled pork sandwich...I want soft, tender, spicy, flavorful meat. I don't want pork swimming drowning in sauce. Why do people do that? Why do restaurants do that? What are you hiding under there!?! No...don't tell me, I probably don't want to know. Don't get me wrong, I like barbecue sauce, but I think of it as a condiment, not an ingredient, and definitely not the main attraction. Sort of like coleslaw - something so simple to make, but something so simple to screw up. Yes, I want a little mayo. Yes, I want a little vinegar. No, I do not want a cup of mayonnaise with one piece of cabbage. Sorry, we are here about pulled pork, not coleslaw. I'll remind myself to bitch about that another day.

This pulled pork is delicious. I often double the recipe if I purchase one of those honkin' pieces of meat at Sam's Club, and either freeze half of it whole, or cook it up and freeze it into portion sized containers. It works well either way. The first time I made this, the meat came out so good that I pulled out half of it to store without sauce, just in case I thought barbecue was too much for it. Depending on your barbecue sauce (I usually use Dinosaur BBQ or Stubbs), if you add just enough, it's perfect. But whatever you do...please, please, please don't drown your meat. Remember, you can always add more.

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
Printable Recipe
by Kacey's Kitchen, Original Recipe Unknown
  • 1 tbsp ground black pepper
  • 1-2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 2 tbsp chili powder
  • 2 tbsp ground cumin
  • 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp dried oregano
  • 4 tbsp paprika
  • 2 tbsp table salt
  • 1 tbsp granulated sugar
  • 1 tbsp ground white pepper
  • 1 (6-8 lb) bone-in pork shoulder
  • 1/2 tsp liquid smoke (optional but recommended)
  • 1 1/2 cups barbecue sauce
  1. Mix all spices together in a small bowl.
  2. Massage spice rub into meat. Wrap tightly in double layer of plastic wrap; refrigerate for at least 3 hours or up to 3 days.
  3. Unwrap roast and place it in a slow cooker. Add liquid smoke if using and 1/4 cup water. Turn slow cooker to low and cook for 8-10 hours, until fork tender.
  4. Transfer roast to cutting board; discarding liquid. "Pull" by tearing meat into thin shreds with two forks or your fingers. Discard fat.
  5. Place shredded meat back in slow cooker; toss with 3/4 cup barbecue sauce, and heat on low for 30-60 minutes, until hot. Serve with additional barbecue sauce.

8 comments :

  1. can't wait to try this recipe

    in step 4 you discard ALL the liquid remaining in crock pot and heat only pork and bbq sauce?

    thanks
    wintkat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I discard all of the liquid, or as much as is convenient. I typically just ladle out as much liquid as possible once I remove most of the meat...at this point it will just slide off the bone. As long as you only put it back in for 30-60 minutes, it will stay nice and moist. If your planning on leaving it for longer, I would suggest keeping some of that liquid in so it doesn't burn.

    Good luck and thanks for checking me out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My slow cooker is so neglected. I might have to try this, you know for the slow cooker's sake (I'm an altruist).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this recipe today to use for barbeque pulled pork and pork tacos. I have to admit that the meat was AMAZING!!! Thanks so much for sharing!!! I can't wait to try other recipes you have posted!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trudy,
    I'm so glad that you tried this and took the time to let me know how it came out!

    If you have any requests, please let me know!

    Kacey

    ReplyDelete
  6. We made about 7 lbs of these for a party last night and damn if there are NO leftovers! One addition we did do, was to brown the meat prior to crockpot cooking... Would recommend. This recipe is heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds great! Once in a while I don't add enough water and the top of the pork gets a bit crispy, which I love. I'll have to try browning it next time. Thanks for the suggestion!!!

    ReplyDelete